AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How people find land to rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenfarmer
Posted 12/7/2011 10:28 (#2089455 - in reply to #2089361)
Subject: Re: How people find land to rent

Central Minnesota
I have heard... And it could just be a rumor... That one of the BTO's in the area, his son a few years ago dated a girl, just to get her grandparents land to rent. Once it was rented, he told her to pound sand... Whether it's true or not, i don't know. But i did think it was pretty funny.

What radio station is that add on? I haven't heard it at all. But i do always see the advertisements in the papers and on Craigslist.. I found that putting an add on Craigslist around here is a waste of time. People always flag them, then they get deleted.

This is really when you see the ethics of neighbors, and who values relationships with neighbors. Some people go around to landlords all summer long, and bug them, offering more money. And others don't. I have had some of the same people every year go to a few of my landlords offering them more money. Sure, sometimes our rent goes up, sometimes it doesn't. But it has never made a huge jump. I guess i don't have that in me to run around to everyone else's landlords and try to rent it away from them. I even rent shed space from a neighbor, and a different neighbor rents his land. I want nothing to do with trying to rent the land away. Just can't do that to another neighbor. But if some of the guys keep doing it to me, i might have to start returning the favor. Just wish i had more faith in the markets to want to pay more. But with the economy now, there's the chance for huge volatility in the market in my mind, and i wouldn't want to lock up some long term deal with someone, and in 2 years be getting 2.80 for corn, and paying 300+ for some land. Especially if it's not the greatest land. I'd rather try to grow as many bushels on my ground i already have as the guy who has alot more land. Maximize the land i already have.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)