AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vaccinating your kid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

gmoney
Posted 12/1/2011 13:59 (#2078860 - in reply to #2074059)
Subject: Re: Vaccinating your kid?

SC Wisconsin
I have a three year old, and a five week old. Both will be fully vaccinated. My wife is a pharmacist, and deals with this sort of stuff every day. People seem to have this expectation that vaccines are some sort of magic bullet, with no health risks and 100% effectiveness. Once they learn otherwise, the tinfoil hats seem to come out.

My wife hates it when I compare people's medical issues to animals (note - never refer to your wife's breastfeeding as "milking" - lesson learned there) but I know hogs and think there are a lot of similar concepts between vaccinating a hog barn and vaccinating people. My apologies in advance to those of you in my wife's camp. But think about it.

1) The people who don't vaccinate are getting the benefit of the population being stable. So they think the risks outweigh the benefits. You take a pig into a finisher that isn't vaccinated for Pseudo, but every other pig is, chances are that pig isn't getting Pseudo just because the virus isn't hot enough in the population.

2) My concern is that all these "new age" kids that aren't vaccinated get infected with some disease everyone else is vaccinated for. No different than a hog barn - if you get enough hot sick animals, it will blow through about any vaccine. I'm assuming the same could hold true for a school full of kids. So now your "right" not to vaccinate has potentially impacted my child's health.

3) Of course you can get sick from vaccines. Happens every day, especially with live/modified live vaccines. If you have a challenged immune system to begin with, it could be all the worse. I know medical research spends big $$ to make them safe, but anytime you inject something into yourself you are taking a risk.

Just random thoughts from someone without a MD.

Edited by gmoney 12/1/2011 14:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)