AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on corn tillage?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FactoryFarmer
Posted 10/12/2011 21:29 (#2001590 - in reply to #2001207)
Subject: RE: Corn on corn tillage?

N IL

pbutler - 10/12/2011 17:15 I know you are a big fan of plowing but plowing does not take more fuel than what? Ran a coulter machine last fall that pulled real easy-don't think it used much fuel. And don't even start to compare to my sprayer. ;) If you are talking something like a Dominator you are probably right, but simple physics tells me plow is moving more dirt farther and that energy isn't free. Your picture is impressive, but that has to be something to do with your soil conditions or type. I grew up spring disking fall plowed ground-I know what rough is. That may depend greatly on soil type, have a neighbor that sprays pretty nicely behind his dominator-but at least "here" I don't care how you set your plow you aren't going to be able to stay in the seat spraying at 8mph until that stuff as been worked either spring or fall.

Sorry Paul, you caught me!

I should say that I did not notice an increase in fule when compared to pulling a: 730C, JD 512, 714, etc. We mainly only use tillage on good black ground and heavy clay. I'm not saying everyone will see this but this is just what I have observed with our tractor on our ground.

One thing that I just thought about reguarding roughness: For some reason when we first started plowing it was really rough now that I think about it. I guess it is a possiblility that it acts like it does not because of the continuous plowing or maybe it could be the ideal conditions we've had the past couple falls.

Oh, and I should mention, I'm not a fan of plowing. It's just what I get paid to do and I enjoy it. To me, it's much more satisfying to pull into an untouched field of residue with a specialized planter or drill and just have at it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)