AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

harvest time. Corn or beans first. Educate me
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sri
Posted 9/12/2011 22:08 (#1959583 - in reply to #1959405)
Subject: Re: harvest time. Corn or beans first. Educate me

nw pa

Here for ideal yield you want corn that is that is black layered one day before a frost for highest yields. Beans the same way. Problem is finding the right planting date and weather for that. Still we have to pick a corn that is as long as possible for any kind of yield. Short season corn here.NW PA. can't take any kind of dry weather and when their time is up they just dry down. The longer season will take more adversity and still be decent.
  Beans we have to throw the snow factor in. Late season beans that get snowed on once won't amount to much. The snow we get first will be wet and heavy. Beans will go down and after two or three snows you will get nothing. So it's fine balancing act. Throw in a solid week of lake effect rain.
  I would say that year in and year out if your corn is ready to harvest the first week of Sept. You are probably losing some yield. Although you may gain it back on another crop or fall field work. Thats something else we don't do much of. By the time we are done harvesting it's to wet to do much without major compaction. That throws field work to the next spring.
    God I love farming

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)