AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farmertim
Posted 9/9/2011 21:57 (#1954984 - in reply to #1952737)
Subject: Re: Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway

New Madrid, MO
It was an 80 year old plan !! A lot has changed in 80 years. Most of that land floods every year or two anyway but the Mississippi River backs up on it slowly. The river doesn't roar through there like it did when they blew the levie. They blew it to save Cairo IL which in my opnion wasn't worth saving. Blowing that levie was the ACOE's biggest screwup ever.

I know Milus Wallace & when they blew the levie in the third spot the river came rushing in(it was suppose to let it out) and destroyed everything he owned. It cut through his land & dumped sand several feet deep & washed a blue hole 65 feet deep. That land will never be the same.

There was a plan to block the river off of that land with a dam & pumps so the water could be regulated at certian times of the year. They had already started work on it on the lower end of the flood way. They spent 7 MILLION dollars moving dirt hauling rock & clearing trees. Then the tree huggers sued the ACOE to stop the project. The lawsuit went to federal court in washington & the federal judge said to put it back like it was. So........................................ 11 MILLION dollars was spent on putting everything back the way it was. There's 18 Million dollars that our government might as well flushed down the toilet.

If you lived here you would know & understand the history of this floodway. Our government has screwed these people over & it really pi$$es me off that they won't compensate them for what they destroyed.

I'm gonna quit now before my blood pressure gets any higher !!

Edited by farmertim 9/9/2011 21:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)