AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any negatives to banding P&K?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 8/14/2011 10:40 (#1911488 - in reply to #1910891)
Subject: Band application of P & K fertilizer

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I am not an agronomist. I also believe the number is different iin different soil types.

I do know the University of MN gives two different P&K application rates on their soil test results, one for broadcast and one lower one for banded application systems. There is probably no one simple correct answer to your question.

I believe the banded rate is generally about 1/3 less than the broadcast rate. That recommendation is also probably not real popular with fertilizer dealers.

Dr George Rehm has done a lot of work in this area. Here is a link to an interesting paper on banded fertilizer.

The "replacement rate" argument is sure to fill a page here.

One issue touched on by poster below in this thread is the location-specific nature of P & K. They just don't move very far or very fast. Banding does insure the P & K is where the plant needs it. There is the other issue of tie-up in various soils.

One further advantage to banding rather than broadcast is that the concentration of fertilizer in the immediate area of the band is high so that even if a portion gets tied up by the soil there is an "excess" concentrationin the band area to be there and available to the crop plant roots near by.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 8/14/2011 10:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)