AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Row water guys help please.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DonOK
Posted 7/17/2011 14:46 (#1866805 - in reply to #1866234)
Subject: Re: Row water guys help please.

Thanks to all who responded.

I am on 30" row spacing watering every other row. Probably go to 38" next year, but that is another discussion. One field was bedded the other planted flat. Both had a homemade "furrow plow" ran down the middle. The soil is very dry and crumbly. Really couldn't ask for worse conditions to start watering, but happy that we have the option.

Wheat straw. Does it not float away? I thought about a brick or concrete pad, but that is alot of trouble.

Watering for short sessions then changing sets to let that dry sounds logical. I think I will try that on a new set today. However, on the first field that I have been watering for a month, the silting seems to continue when I rerun a set. That is start watering a set that has already dried. I thought after the first or second watering it would set up but still giving problems.

The fields are on .15% grade with some side slope. There is no pad on the high side. The fields are on grade to the fence.

BTW the first mistake I made was using a rotary ditcher to make a furrow for the poly pipe. It looked real neat but as soon as the row furrow silted in a little the water backed up to the pipe and had a perfect avenue to move across rows. I did not do the second field that way.

Also, the set that I ran two 7/8 holes per row yesterday ran out last night. It basically flooded that set all the way to the end. I am sure that is not ideal but did get water the full 1/4 mile.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)