AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Basement wall insulation question - need ideas & experience
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

iseedit
Posted 6/9/2011 23:11 (#1811866 - in reply to #1811739)
Subject: Re: Flame proof ~

central - east central Minnesota -

Grow - 6/9/2011 20:34 Styrofoam is an oil based product and burns well. Just take a one or two inch thick by 10 inch long sample. Do a vertical burn test on it by lighting a match under it. Even a horizontal fire burn test will give a rapid fire result. If the protective fire barrier is ever breached, and ignition takes place, round up the family pronto and abandon 'ship'. I'm surprised that it is allowed near a dwelling. What is the specific fire code for styrofoam?

Jason Hinson - 6/9/2011 21:20 If I remember correctly the info I received from Reward Wall Systems said the expanded poly styrene used in their forms had a toxicity when burned, similar to that of yellow pine. On the code, most require a 15 minute burn thru covering over foam insulations. 1/2 inch drywall will get you there.

Foam does burn well . . . . IF, if you keep a flame on it. Take the flame away and it goes out.
Simple paint or ceiling texture will give a good 15 min burn covering. And as pointed out sheetrock.
The code calls for sheet rock or the foil backed insulation board - the foil gives the burn through rating.
Grow is correct, if the fire / flame continues, the fumes are deadly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)