AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IA State Agronomy masters program
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 3/11/2010 10:53 (#1115187 - in reply to #1114367)
Subject: Iowa State Master of Agriculture

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings,

For the most part, I would "ditto" what has been said above. I was in the first decade of the Iowa State Master of Agriculture Off-Campus program back in the 1980's (ouch) and early 1990's. Since they offered classes via a real professor (not on-line) only about 12 miles away attending was a no-brainer. It was great in the sense that I now have a number of friends who attended those same classes.

Like others have said, the Master's is meant to cultivate critical thinking skills. The topic is somewhat less important than the method. The coursework for me was interesting as much of it was higher level agriculture. But the real key is in the mentoring you get from your major professors and committee as well as the environment of learning to do research and understanding elements of the scientific method.

One thing that you really should try to understand before making too much of a commitment is HOW you learn. For example, I like going to a class and seeing/listening to/and questioning the instructor. When I had to take slide tape or self instruction, it just didn't work so well. On-line, I doubt I would do so well. It is a function of personal time management and discipline driven by a schedule.

Really, when it boils down, the question should be measured by personal reward as much or more than financial reward potential. Money comes and goes, but education and experiences once earned you can take to your grave.

Best of luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)