AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grid vs Zone
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buckwheat
Posted 3/3/2010 18:16 (#1103416 - in reply to #1103220)
Subject: RE: Topography

Hey BigNorsk,

Have been playing around with Arcmap/ArcScene this winter using purchased elevation data. (DEMS and DTMS) These have a resolution of 5m/pixel, much better than anything I have been able to find for free.

In my area we have rolling ground with lots of "knobs" that are usuallu higher in PH and CCE and thus we are cutting back on N and increasing P in these areas with great results. Attatched is a map I made that we are using as a template to then "digitize" zones according to elevation and then soil test. My problem is only having 1-2 years of yield data to use. Of course I have my own knowledge of the ground as I have farmed it for 16 years......these topography models correlate nicely with my own knowledge of the ground I might add. Out here in the "Great American Desert" it is ALL about water......these knobs with low OM and high PH/CCE simply do not need the additional N as ll it does is encourage vegeatative growth and then "burns up" as the year heats/drys up.

If anyone is interested in these, my email is good and I can make them for you if you like for a small fee of course!!

(INTERMAP3mxd.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments INTERMAP3mxd.jpg (35KB - 43 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)