AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Local COOP bullying attempts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 12/30/2009 08:40 (#993182 - in reply to #992623)
Subject: RE: Local COOP bullying attempts

Rolla, ND
First thought is can you go and get your beans and take them somewhere else? Or did they make you somehow sign away your right to that too? I'd probably do that, even if I had to DP them at the other place, just to let them know I didn't like someone changing the rules in the middle of the game.

The other thing is, is it legal for them to charge you 1/2 their normal storage rate for their beans? I don't see how you can be charged storage on beans they own. You are storing literally nothing. Now they could change their contract and have it as fees for the DP, but if it actually says storage in the contract, well, I can't see how they can charge you storage on their own beans.

I would also doubt that even if they sent out a letter of their policy that they could enforce it. They have no proof you received it. If they had sent it certified or registered, then it likely would. Usually, a business imposing things like this need to have the rules prominently posted.

Major problem would be it would likely take a court case for you to do anything about it. Unless whomever has jurisdiction over grain warehouses and such is really consumer friendly and would step in and threaten their grain license or something.

As an aside, in North Dakota, you actually have much more protection as far as getting paid on a DP contract than if they are storing your grain. If they went broke with your grain being stored, their bond is supposed to cover it, but the bond is literally a few pennies worth per dollar. Almost nothing really. Whereas, we set up an insurance fund to cover DP contracts and you'd get most if not all your money from the insurance fund. The fund was funded with a fee (can't remember for sure but I think it was like a 1/2 % fee until the fund was funded and then the fee was greatly reduced).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)