AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hairpinning. ? (pictures)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 12/2/2009 10:03 (#946509 - in reply to #945983)
Subject: I'm just going to jump in here....

Haven't read all the other posts but here are my past observations.

As you may or may not know, we do a lot of grass drilling in killed sod. This is our #1 challenge most jobs in killed sod.

Without watching you work in the field, I'm going to make an assumption based on a couple statements. First, if you flail cut, you have a lot of small pieces of residue making a mat on the ground. Right?

Second, you mentioned that the soil was at or near saturation. Right?

My first assumption. Put a floormat on mud and take a run at it. Hit the mat and try to stop. What happens? You slide until the mat hits something firm.

I'm guessing, and it's a dangerous guess, that your problem isn't really "hairpinning" or pushing residue consistently down into the slot, it's sliding the residue along in front of your opener on the slick ground until it hits something firm enough to catch it. The opener rolls up and over and you are left with a little pile of residue and poorly places seed. In the area that the sliding residue left, you have seed on top of the ground. In the area where the residue is left, you have seed on top of the residue. Kinda looks like pictures 5, 6, and 8.

With my drills, we use a notched blade, set at an angle in front of the opener to wipe the mat out of the way. Works OK, but sometimes we just slide the mat over and never really cut it and move it out of the way. Instead, I really like long stubble, as long as you can leave it with the previous operation. Keeps the mat of vegetation off the ground, and gives those blades something to work against.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)