AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shelled the corn plot today
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

seedsguy
Posted 10/29/2009 10:20 (#904724 - in reply to #904628)
Subject: Re: Shelled the corn plot today

here's an idea... forget about plots all together from a yield standpoint.. look at them to evaluate stalks, roots, disease, etc.... Then plant a wide range of maturities, genetic families etc... Then heres the most important part: plant them in the best conditions possible, manage stress, insects, disease, nutrients etc throughout the growing season and if you do that you will be 30 to 50 bushels better than your neighbor everytime.. I don't care what you plant.... Genetics and traits are only one small piece of a very big puzzle... Wasting your time worrying about a bunch of plot data is a huge waste of time... Focus your efforts on how to do a better job of growing a better crop starting at planting time... (good soil conditions, residue mgmt, seed to soil contact, net effective plant stand etc) you win the battle there and the rest of the yr has a chance to be great.... You don't and I dont care how great a job you think you did picking the best product you still lose......... I see people that pour over yield data for days/weeks trying to outguess mother nature next yr only to do a piss poor job of planting and managing a crop the next season and cost themselves 30-50 bushels or more..... Now sorry if I offended anyone but its reality.....
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)