AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can someone work through true harvest costs with me?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 7/25/2009 16:14 (#787869 - in reply to #787854)
Subject: Re: Can someone work through true harvest costs with me?

I agree in regards to pushing the pencil separately on on the bag and combine thing. I need to re-read my original post to see what makes it appear that it's a joint decision. For wheat this year we got charged 26 cents to get it hauled to town. Makes putting it in a bag in the field, even if it's only a week or two until we can come in with our truck and haul it slowly to town very appealing. Corn won't likely be quite that bad, but it will be close and there will be a lot more bushels. We are considering the bagging whether we get a combine or not (which we most likely won't for reasons I've discussed with you in emails).

I appreciate the specific recommendations for model numbers and estimations on fuel burn, etc. The last combine we owned, I was still in pre-school and it was a 503 International.

I'm not sure why bags are less desirable than bins unless you need to dry your crop down after it's harvested. My understanding is that it's at most 7 to 7.5 cents per bushel for the bags themselves. If you put up a bin now, I'm hearing that it's a lot more than it was just a year or so ago, maybe almost double. Anyways, it sounds like close to $2 a bushel to build. That money is then tied up forever. The yearly interest on $2 per bushel storage is close to 16 cents whether you use the storage or not. If you buy bags you only buy what you need and you've got 9 cents per stored bushel left over to pay for your equipment. Some of the better unloaders sound very vast to me as well so I don't think it'll be very inefficient getting it out of the field. Anyways, for us, saving 9 cents per bushel over the course of a year is going to pay for all of the bagging and unloading equipment in less than 2 years.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)