AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns - A new RCT Comparing KETO and Mediterranian
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Curious
Posted 10/22/2022 06:23 (#9896440)
Subject: John Burns - A new RCT Comparing KETO and Mediterranian

NW IA
I thought this was very interesting. Popped up in my click bait.

From a site called ZOE, "This is what the keto diet does to your body" on YouTube. (Sorry, still can't do links)

The researcher does a randomized control trial, the gold standard, where participants went for 12 weeks on each diet and switched.

The keto diet produced the lowest triglycerides, Mediterranian the lowest LDL.

But he concludes that keto is not good because it is unsustainable and doesn't include enough fiber from whole grains etc. That's a topic for another day.

I thought he was very honest about how it is nearly impossible to do a trial like the one he did because of lack of compliance, even when the participants had food delivered to them! The results are still interesting, but his comments about compliance are brutally honest and should color how we look at any research.

If you have the time to watch this to the end, the comments section proves to be as interesting as the presentation.

One quick note, the interviewer asks if there are long term harms that could come from keto. He replies that he didn't think so, but that the higher cholesterol could build gunk in your veins and cause problems, even though he stated earlier that keto lowered triglycerides.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)