AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns - A new RCT Comparing KETO and Mediterranian
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

moon1234
Posted 10/24/2022 00:29 (#9899134 - in reply to #9896440)
Subject: RE: John Burns - A new RCT Comparing KETO and Mediterranian

De Forest, WI

Low carb does NOT mean you need to eat a lot of meat.  Meat is EXPENSIVE.  Keto and most low carb just means your body needs to be adapted to burn FAT.  ANY FAT.  There are better quality fats and lower quality fats.  Whether you get your fat calories from Meat, Vegetables, Nuts, etc. DOES NOT MATTER.  It is simply total calories in vs calories burned.  If you eat too many calories in the form of fat, even when in ketosis, the body will still gain weight.  

I, personally, try and eat the most nutrient dense form of foods that are mostly fat that I can.  Eating primarily meat is NOT my preference.  I do eat meat,but try and get at least 50% or more of my fats from things that grow in or on the ground.  I also eat berries and other lower carb fruits/veggies.  

The key is finding out how many carbs YOU can eat while keeping your blood sugar under control and your body in ketosis.  The ONLY way to know that is to use both a blood glucose meter AND a blood ketone meter.  If you are NOT diabetic then you need only a blood ketone meter as your pancreas will make all the needed insulin to process the carbs.  If you DO have diabetes, then you probably can get away with just a blood glucose meter.  WHY?  Well most people with diabetes (Type 2) need to eat very low amounts of carbs to control blood glucose.  This almost ALWAYS means you will eat so few that your body will enter ketosis.  

SO, you check your blood sugar six times a day initially.  Fasting and then two hours after each meal.  This will tell you how your body is responding to what you ate.  If your blood sugars are where they need to be at fasting and two hours after meals then you can SLOWLY increase carbs until you notice your blood glucose going the wrong way.  Then you back off and get them back to where they need to be.  Through this process you learn WHAT you can eat, how much and WHEN.  After a while you will intuitively know what you can eat, how much and when.  

THAT is the best way to control both blood sugar and inflammation.  The key is to make sure you get your necessary nutrients with what you eat.  You will NOT do that by eating meat 80% of the time.  It will also put a serious dent in your pocketbook.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)