AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns, question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 10/9/2022 09:56 (#9879255 - in reply to #9878379)
Subject: last nights cheats

Pittsburg, Kansas

Last night was my high school 50th year class reunion. They had Chicken Annie's fried chicken, German slaw and German potato salad. SE Kansas seems to be the fried chicken capital as there are several restaurants that serve similar chicken. It came about in the mining days.

Normally we no longer eat their chicken because of the breading on it nor the cold slaw because of the soybean oil it has in it. But last night we reneged and we both ate the chicken and cold slaw. Tasted great. And they had a couple cakes which I took a half piece and my wife and I split the half piece. Was good cake and tasted ok but did not make me want more.

Went home later and checked my blood sugar. 170. Not horrendous for a diabetic (years ago I would have been delighted if it stayed that low) but it about 40 points higher than I would like to see. The good news is my pancreas has healed a lot the last three years and can kind of handle a higher carb meal (I avoided the potatoes though). The bad news is if I was 18 and metabolically healthy my blood sugar would have been back down to about 110 a couple hours after the meal. So I am not a young metabolically healthy person. Bummer.................

But hopefully I keep improving. A slight cheat once every month or two is not going to kill me and lets me check my metabolic progress. On the other hand it is certainly not "good" for me either. We will stay the course of low carb probably for the remainder of our lives. We just do better and feel better eating that way.

Getting old sucks, but I have yet to find a better alternative.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)