AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Burns, question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 10/7/2022 08:23 (#9876818 - in reply to #9876764)
Subject: the life improvements we enjoy since changing what we eat

Pittsburg, Kansas

When we started, about three and a half years ago now, we went "low carb keto". That is we reduced the carbohydrates we ate to low enough levels that we should have been in nutritional ketosis most of the time. At the time, and still, our goal is a maximum of 20 grams carbohydrates a day. The very first week since we had just bought a bunch of groceries we just cut the carbs in "half" of what we had been eating. In other words whatever we were going to eat we just cut the portion size in half for that first week to get rid of the carb groceries we had just bought before we decided to go low carb. We did this as a transition with the intention of doing it till the carby groceries were gone. However, the improvements were so great just reducing the carbs (I was diving at the time and using 90 units of insulin in 4 shots a day, I had to reduce that to 50 almost immediately to keep from going "low". 100 units a day was my normal dose when not scuba diving). So after one week we gave away/threw away the rest of the carbs and stuck to under 20 grams a day total carbs. When we did that I had to go completely off insulin shots to keep from going low blood sugar. I have not had a shot of insulin since, nor have I had trouble with occasional "low" blood sugar like I would when on insulin shots and I miscalculated the amount I needed usually based on more physical activity than anticipated when I took the shot. Within three months I got off all other diabetic medication and blood pressure medication (no longer needed it).

I have since started taking a low dose of Metformin. My after meal blood sugar readings are excellent for a diabetic (usually around 135, almost never above 150 unless I specifically eat something carby as an experiment). However my liver producing glucose still makes my morning fasting readings higher than I would like, usually 125=135. It is not uncommon for my fasting glucose to be the high number of the day with my after meal readings actually lower.

Then over the next year lots of other health improvements that were not anticipated, including anticipated knee joint replacement no longer needed.

I have got a doctors appointment I got to go to now for my annual checkup and he should have my latest blood work. I don't have the time right now but when I do I will give a longer answer of all the health improvements my wife and I enjoy since going low carb. We still target a maximum of 20 grams total carbs a day, but in reality it is often less than 10 or even zero. We have naturally transitioned to a mostly meat diet, my wife more so than me because the less veg she has she seems to do the best. More later when I have time.

Edited by John Burns 10/7/2022 08:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)