AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

4020 Rebuild Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

ajbednar
Posted 9/14/2022 09:26 (#9843792 - in reply to #9843244)
Subject: RE: 4020 Rebuild Question

I agree that a 4020 isn't worth $30K (even restored, I'm not into that kind of stuff), but that may be what they are going to cost (maybe soon!), just based on recent auction results. As for getting a 6400 or other (newer) tractor, even a 'good' 4020 as previously suggested, you won't be able to find that either for less than $15-25K, at least I've not been able to. I had thought about the option of selling this one now and cutting my losses, but as others above have pointed out, you still might not know what you have, even with an in-person inspection, I might just be swapping one problem for another - that's one reason I didn't buy a powershift. I love Dad's powershift, but if that transmission goes, you are definitely in for a repair bill worth more than the tractor. At least by fixing it right, if I can get it done, I'll know what I have.

I don't see a way of getting anywhere near a 4020 amount of tractor, that is newer, for under $25K+. I have coworkers that all have newer Kubotas and the like for their hobby tractors, and have house mortgage-size notes on them, for less tractor than a 4020. And when they break down - and all eventually will - the repair from the electronics alone might buy a 4020! That is not to say I'm against new equipment, I love my modern diesel truck, much quieter and nicer to ride in than my 1996 7.3L, but I can work on the 7.3L, just like I can the 1966 4020, even if I'm not set up to pull an engine! I'm into this tractor now for $8K, I have some ceiling to work with before I'm in too deep...

To those above that have suggested further diagnostics, I will get to that eventually. I have some stuff coming up for work and the kids that are gonna keep my next month or so busy, but then I will get the valve cover off and do some more investigating. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)