AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Acres needed for 24 row Planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cliff SEIA
Posted 6/17/2009 00:02 (#747940 - in reply to #747457)
Subject: RE: Acres needed for 24 row Planter

We went from a 12 row to a 24 this year on 1,900 acres of corn after pushing the 12 row over 1,600 acres last year.  Depending on how new of a planter you are looking at you might be suprised how cheap you can get a 24 row, we paid less for our 12 year old 24 row 1770 than a comparable age and condition 16 row would have cost and it was less than a new wing fold 12 row.  We did have to widen out a few driveways to get the planter in them but now we can get semi's in them so it wasn't just for the planter.  Our best day of planting this year with the 24 row got fewer acres planted than our best day with the 12 row the past couple of years because we have so many small fields but our average day improved alot and my brother who does the planting got alot more sleep this year than he was used to planting.  Also being the first year with a planter we had a few small bugs to work out of it which slowed us down a little bit.  Just a few years ago I would have said that we have so many small, odd shaped fields that a 24 row planter wouldn't be practical but with row shut off clutches if the field is big enough to unfold a 24 row planter and turn it around I think we can do a better job with it than we did with the 12 row in the past.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)