AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

old iron
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TWB
Posted 1/15/2022 08:38 (#9441065 - in reply to #9440824)
Subject: RE: old iron

Or another reason a lot of equipment that 50 plus years old and 40 plus years is that equipment was relocated to smaller farms in neither that area or to totally different area ( in that state or to a neighboring state ). In the seventies when Earl Butz, the US Secretary of Agriculture was pushing farmers to plant more corn, soybeans, and wheat, farmers started buying bigger tractors and equipment. I think those farmer 3 and 4 bottom plows and 10 and 12 foot disks they neither traded them in or they sold them themselves. I know in the Middle Tennessee area I grew up in in the late seventies and early eighties a lot of farmers started getting round hay balers and most had a 35 to 40 horsepower tractor up to then, so they also brought them a new 60-80 horsepower tractor to pull their new round baler with. Now with a bigger tractor they could get a plow and disk to match the size of their tractor. Example, in my area of Middle Tennessee most of the farms are suited for hay, pastureland, and some crop land. So in the seventies and eighties there was a lot of beef cattle, few dairy farms, burley tobacco, and some row cropping. So with some farmers with bigger tractors, they probably brought a lot of the used 3-4 bottom plows and 10-12 foot disks that the farmers that moved up to larger equipment got rid of.

All my tillage equipment is 50 years old or older, but still in good shape ( except for my chisel plow, spring part on the shanks need some work done on them ). It all smaller size equipment, 3 bottom plow, 10 foot disk, 13 foot field cultivator, and 7 shank chisel plow. Most of them brought from 1988 and later.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)