AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Seed Command
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/30/2006 06:10 (#67339 - in reply to #67290)
Subject: AutoSwath for planting with OEM Clutches

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I was asked to investigate the possibility of tying the Insight with AutoSwath into the Deere clutch for shutting off "half" of a planter. This was on a 1770NT which was in our shop for a starter fertilizer installation kit.

I looked into it a bit and thought that it was possible. In this case I would have needed to bypass the manual switching arrangement that was currently in the planter. This was all 100% Deere with the Deere fold and switch boxes. My thought was to "intercept" the Deere wiring at the hitch point but it may have been safer to do the "interception" at the clutches themselves. I always like to keep the modifications to the original wiring at a minimum so the system can be returned to its original state if the system does not work or the implement is traded.

After talking about it, the customer decided that he wasn't really that interested and we didn't investigate any further. He had a minimum of point rows and felt that using the original manual switch was acceptable.

I'm not sure how the planter population monitor behaves in this planter when half the planter is shut off. If the original switchbox is tied into the planter monitor, possibly the monitor "knows" that half of the planter is supposed to be off and behaves accordingly. If this is the case, the wiring might be a bit more complicated to implement.

In the 24 row case that I mentioned earlier, the planter monitor would indicate failures on the rows which were shut off. Thus the low population alarm would sound. This would have been true with the original Tru-Count switch box or my adapter box. This owner was not upset by this. He said that the noise from the alarm for failed rows (Because they were shut off) did not bother him and reinforced his thoughts about the seed he was saving.

Edited by tedbear 12/7/2006 07:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)