AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How often should a septic tank be pumped?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

VMUSA1
Posted 7/1/2021 14:04 (#9087995 - in reply to #9083062)
Subject: RE: How often should a septic tank be pumped?

Illinois Heartland
Guess I’m out of the norm here. We built a new house in 2013 and none of the local septic companies would install a system without the local county public health department approving it.

We had to do a percolation test and the clay on our hill we built on wouldn’t pass the test. We had to put in a hybrid system with a continuous mix/aeration system. It’s in a 1000 gal tank with 3 chambers. The first chamber is 500 gal, then the 250 gal mixer, then a 250 gal outflow settling tank.

From there it goes to a single finger leachfield which is basically useless, then to a contact chlorinator tank that I have to keep fed with tablets. Then off in to the field tile. If it backs up, then an above ground outlet pipe.

It’s been 8 years now and we started having problems recently. Called the company who installed it and they asked when it was last pumped. I said never and they came right out to inspect it. First chamber was full of solids and they said these systems have to be pumped every 3-5 years. $221 later, all is well again. Told my neighbor who had built a house a year before us and he had to have his pumped twice. Dad’s house on the other hill with an old type system with 1800 gal tank has never been touched in my 55 years of life.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)