AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds Part 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 2/28/2021 17:04 (#8864225 - in reply to #8863178)
Subject: Carlson,.............

No problem here my panties aren't in a wad. Yes I've talked of giving a Sour Guard shot to heifers before calving as a two year old to all beef heifers and also dairy heifers. Then I would give a booster to all milk cows when drying them off of milk production with just one shot of it. Once I got dairy cows on that program it pretty well ended a scour/roto virus problem at had at dairy. I never brought in outside female cattle to dairy, raised all our own. I did however buy Holsten bulls and would bring them in as yearling bulls.

Back in the day when I kept all coming two year old beef heifers I was forced to calve them out at dairy facility. And yes we checked them every two hours because labor was there walking back and forth from milk barn doing chores, or I was driving by. I made sure all beef heifers got the Scour Guard shot/2 rounds of it. Also yes all dairy calves got a nasalgen (type) vaccine at day old when fed first colostrum milk. It was a program that I found that fit us and worked when we raised calve 365 days a year in same facilities for over 50+ years.

More than 16 years ago I quit calving beef heifers around dairy facility, It sure eased up our lives got cattle out yards we had to constantly clean and straw to calve in. After beef heifers get their two rounds of Sour Guard we don't ever give it again, cattle are spread out it's never a problem. Might never need the Scour shots, however it's something I know that works, so I've never quit that shot. After first calf in beef cows all they ever get is a Preg Guard shot and pour on at preg checking time. It works for us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)