AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds Part 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Swede
Posted 2/28/2021 15:38 (#8864045 - in reply to #8863761)
Subject: RE: Calving on large herds Part 2

SW So Dakota
Around about 2005 we had a rough March and were in the heart of calving. It was March 25th, it was 25 below that night, we had about 2 feet of snow on the level and we were getting about 25 calves a day. I was in my early 40's with a young family and a hired man who basically did the feeding and I did the calving. I'll never forget as long as I live the feeling of being overwhelmed, exhausted, and questioning what the hell I was doing to my physical and mental health. I have a barn but it was nearly impossible to get the cattle too it as deep as the snow was. It was a nightmare. I began to ask myself would my kids want this kind of life? That night I made up my mind to make some kind of changes. I was part of a forum similar to this and began reaching out for ideas and options. Close to a dozen members began sharing their operations and practices. It never even occurred to me that cows could calve on their own on summer pasture. By 2007 I waited until August 1st to turn the Bulls out. That following fall of 2008 we weaned 418 calves out of 425 cows in the mature herd which was 98.5%. I became a believer. We've never done that well again but we are usually north of 95% with good weather.

The reason I share my story is not to convince anyone to change their operation, I couldn't do that if I had to. Personally I wish everyone in America would calve from Jan to Mar, less completion that way. The reason I share is because there is someone out there with doubts about why they are doing what they are doing and I am more than willing to answer any questions. Kind of like paying it forward.

We are living the American Dream gentlemen. We own our own businesses and we call the shots. Enjoy the ride while you can.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)