AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds Part 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

carlsoncl
Posted 2/28/2021 09:13 (#8863178 - in reply to #8862709)
Subject: RE: Calving on large herds Part 2

Beresford, SD
Geez, guess I have a lasting impression on folks. I do stand by what I typed. If one can check once a week and stomach the losses vs. checking multiple times per day.........it’s your checkbook. I don’t care.

I admire posts like Oakridge’s. 3% death loss on salebarn piut together Holstein bucket calves.......that’s impressive! One thing I can guarantee, to pull that off he’s living with them!

I guess everyone has their own comfort level of acceptable loss.

I have way more experience in the feedyard than I do calving cows. I only have 150 mammas and it’s only my forth calving season. But, one thing I can guarantee. Checking cattle in the feedyard once a week vs multiple times a day would result in a death loss rate of at least 7x! Unacceptable, and Piss poor animal husbandry!

Russ, I respect you 100%. But, you always talk of giving a scour shot and a nasalgen (type) vaccine at birth.......how is that getting done if your not able to check daily? Maybe that was done when dairy farm’n.

I’ve been accused of having a strong personality more than once. If I got anyone’s panties in a wad......must’a hit a nerve. Sorry.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)