AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving on large herds Part 2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 2/27/2021 22:39 (#8862709)
Subject: Calving on large herds Part 2

NEMO
I guess during the course of the day I read and reread a lot of that thread. We run both spring and fall herds, and run a lot of cows by Missouri standards. Fall calvers take weather mostly out of the equation, but require lots of feed when calves get to be eating in the winter. Spring calving is a broad range, which one is it, cold weather or when the grass greens up? For us it's starting Feb 1 with AI hfs, AI cows and cleanup hfs next. We check every 3 hrs or less (around the clock) in really cold weather, less if it's warm. We are lucky with good old facilities, and can pen up lots of cows if weather gets bad. Question is, when is the weather gonna be bad, a week ago like this year, or first week of March like a few years ago. 2 years ago we heard staggering loses from a lot of operations in our area, did good here. We, mostly son in spring, works hard, and the percentage shows it. We run maternal based cows that get the job done, but, things can happen, and the extra attention shows. I guess we are more like Carlson in his approach in this way, If we weren't spending extra time with the cows, we'd just be sitting anyway. I failed to see in any of the posts what the calving percentages were, and I'm guessing all of the hands off guys would say that they are 95-100%,,,first liar wins.
Russ, your posts make sense about 99% of the time, but who the hell beats up a $50000 dollar pickup out in the mud gathering up a chilled calf? Here. it's a $900 truck I got at a farm sale, and the heater doesn't work. Not saying you haven't seen it, but that's dumb for sure. We've all seen plenty of cow guys (well maybe they aren't) that shouldn't have cows.
I guess my take away from the whole thread is,,why can't everybody leave everybody else alone?? If Carlson wants to put the time in, and he has the drive to do it, leave him the hell alone. If whoever else wants to not ever check their cows, don't mean s**t to me, go for it. As usual, somewhere in the middle is most correct, and location makes a HUGE difference. Why does everyone have to get on here and try to convert everyone else over to a different way of thinking?

Edited by oldtiger 2/27/2021 22:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)