AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Son statrting farming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

deereman7
Posted 5/23/2020 15:14 (#8275503 - in reply to #8275402)
Subject: RE: Son statrting farming

Central Indiana
IMHO. Sons shouldn't get a handout. Look at the next generation of farmers. Most are a bunch of spoiled brats that run on dads money and they are in their 40's. I'm very humbled to say I started after a 10 year off farm job saving everything. My father and I had good relationship and farmed plenty. His father made him work for everything he had. I didn't understand at the time but now I do and appreciate everything 10 times more. You shouldn't have to pay your son. The father has worked his whole life. It's time to slow down. Think of it as starting a new town job and the son is the grunt. Starting at the bottom. I was fortunate enough to have a great job and save enough to buy half of the machinery. Then a five year buy out. After that he bought an RV and was gone lol. Farming with family is hard. Just have to make sure to write everything down and voice opinions. Things held back and a few days to stew on it will only end up in a fight. I don't think there is a one size fits all in a family farm. I owe my father everything for the opportunity to buy in and start farming. I'll pay him high cash rents until I pay the ground off, its my way of saying thank you. Honestly a bad day on the farm is a hell of a lot better than a good day in a town job! Even though I do miss the big pay checks lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)