AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Covid 19
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Tango
Posted 4/5/2020 15:51 (#8167311 - in reply to #8167059)
Subject: RE: Covid 19

SE IA
I am not sure how people come up with the concept that letting this virus run and we all go back to work will be any different for the economy. If we just all go about our normal activities and the the virus goes through 70-80% of us in 3 to 4 months what happens to factories or packing plants with that high of a call in sick rate. I would guess they will be shut down for a few months because of the amount of sickness and people refusing to come to work. I think the paranoia and mental issues would be higher with that much sickness and death going on at one time. From a friend I have heard that milk plants are shutting down in New York because of sickness and farmers are spreading their milk on the fields. That is second hand but from his in laws who are dairy farmers.

I am not sure how people can question whether the death rate would be higher. If our health care is overwhelmed and you have no hope of going to the hospital I believe the death rate goes up. We have a very good health care system for those that can access it. Give them credit for saving lives. If I can't breath and I can't go to the hospital I am going to feel hopeless. That kind of feeling spreads across this country and the economy will suffer tremendously. Yes that won't be everyone but it doesn't take everyone sick to shut down a factory.

As farmers we think of death rates or survival rates constantly. Livestock, plants, it is a way of life. Those same kind of calculations don't work with people. We can project those calculations until it comes home and many of us are sick. People on this site are mostly rural and this disease has really not affected us much yet except for markets. I hope it doesn't run rampant in the rural areas but am afraid it eventually will without a vaccine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)