AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old combines, Red or Green?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pbutler
Posted 7/17/2009 16:08 (#778999 - in reply to #778965)
Subject: RE: Old combines, Red or Green?

Macon, IL
You seem to be taking a pretty logical approach.

Doing 150 acres I believe you will save enough to pay for a machine and maintence vs hiring custom.

Admitted aias here as I have only owned green and worked on green, have run both. Comments below are based on discussions with friends, neighbors, dealers, and people here. I am sure some people of both colors of the aisle will disagree with some of my points but just giving my slightly educated opinions.

+Red-Cheper Heads
+Green-Cheaper Parts
-Green-More repairs
+Green-Cheaper Repairs
+Green-Engine

I would give IH the edge in capacity for the $ as the era of rotary you will be looking at could eat more crop than green.

I have been Deere mainly because the dealer support in my driving distance is 10x better for Deere, and shoup and sloan stock most parts. Just from my small unscientific example the IH can hit you with potentially much larger repair bills-due to weaker engine, hydro, and if rotor does go. Much of that may be mitigated if you can find out where your machine came from and the care it has had.

I think the reputation of older Deere being hard to work on is undeserved-except for all that crap under the seat-which you will learn to truly hate if you get one. Deere may have more repairs-but if you do good off season maintance I haven't had anything that couldn't be fixed in the same day-and my mechanical skills are average at best.

For 150 acres just about anything will do. If you go green do not get a gasser, and if you go with the older 00 models a 7700 doesn't bring any more $ than a 4400 or 6600 and has a lot more capacity, some 4400 parts are gettting harder to find.

Whichever one you I would definately get hydro.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)