AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Computers, past and present
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Lenders
Posted 4/12/2009 16:27 (#677925 - in reply to #677706)
Subject: Re: Computers, past and present

Dodge Co, Wi
the wheels are there so we could play frogger

I'm in agreement with dave on this subject, processing capacity today is hardly used.. I rarely use more than 10% of either of my two cores in my athlon and my 4GB of 1066 ram is more than enough for what I do. However I do see where increases in network/net speeds will be sought after, even with my 20Mbps pipe I still find downloads could be faster, that is because not everyone has 20Mb pipes like I do mostly...

the only reason that I upgraded my system was for watching my shows on my HD tv, my previous gpu wouldn't show more than 800x600 so I put together a new system that would feed HD, and in the mean time went to bigger faster cpu, 1TB hdd and switched from xp to fedora. my last system lasted me 8 years with minor upgrades in ram and optical drives over the years... i see no reason now that this system shouldn't last me 8-10 years.. i've really noticed that the advancement in computing power in the last 2-3 years is different than the advancements in the previous 5 or so years, less emphasis on cpu's/ram so much as gpu capability (the reason i upgraded) we've moved from a need for speed to a need for quality emphasis in our computing...

still is neat though that david brought the subject up how we've gone from punch cards and computers taking up entire buildings to the vic20 and c64 to ibm's and clones to present time. I still have fond memories of playing frogger on an old Tandy with a 9or10" screen and 2 5.25" drives and keyboard all in one, and scorched earth on a 286 clone and c&c red alert on my first pc to watching hd tv shows on my new box. Learning Linux now reminds me of how I enjoyed learning dos 5 and my entry into modern computing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)