AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How people find land to rent
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

greenfarmer
Posted 12/7/2011 21:00 (#2090504 - in reply to #2089651)
Subject: Re: How people find land to rent

Central Minnesota
Well, i heard someone by Brownton picked up another 1000 acres again. Didn't hear exactly where though. But i did hear it was high 300's to low 400's an acre... Not sure though, it's all hearsay, so who knows for sure. Some relatives of mine did lose some land, and i heard that the high bid on that is or was 380.

Renting ground now isn't like it was 15 years ago. Everyone wants the biggest check so they can go sit at the local cafe and brag to their neighbors about how much their tennant is paying them.

I had a chance to rent another 70+ last week. But was scared it would turn out to be a bad deal. So i turned it down. I have a neighbor that lives on this "cartway".. Well, the township used to plow their driveway in the winter, 25/time. Well, alot of the time, the township wouldn't get there fast enough, or the neighbors would go in the ditch, because they couldn't wait. So i would either plow them out quick, or pull them out of the ditch. Well, never asked for a dime from them. Just told them that i would like to rent the land. Well, they called this fall, when i was out combining beans, because the township isn't plowing driveways anymore, and they wanted to know if i would plow their driveway. Well, i said i'd plow it for free, if i could rent their land... Well, they drug their feet, then told me a price of what their tennant is paying. Then it went higher, then they called again and said their tennant would pay them "x" amount an acre, and even pay to plow their driveway out. Well, i was supposed to meet with them sunday afternoon. I just told them that i decided they should just keep renting to their current tennant, and he can handle their plowing. I have enough work. I just felt they kept using me as a bargaining chip, and felt that things would go bad in the future with them. Kinda felt "slapped" in the face by them over the past few years with always plowing them out, pulling them out and doing little things like that. We cut their road ditch off for them a few times. Do those little "neighborly" things. I guess sometimes that doesn't matter anymore. Because people just want the "dollar".. It will come back to bite both of them i think. As i'm sure they will be getting stuck a few times. I know this time, it's probably gonna get expensive if i have to pull them out. Nothing wrong with being the nice neighbor. But sometimes it's nice to have things reciprocated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)