AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 9/9/2011 01:25 (#1953673 - in reply to #1953652)
Subject: Re: Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
I do believe the damage would have been much less if it was blown earlier. You've seen the pictures on here with 10 or 12 ft cuts. (The ones that also seem to be north of Omaha, haha) I believe It would have been more like the pictures you see during normal flooding with 2ft cuts and sand and silt deposits.

Btw Some major roads washed out around here, and it wasn't the current of the river which washed out the roads. Its the fact that the road acts like a mini levee and then when water starts to breech the road, It increases velocity and erodes the back side of the road until a cut is created. Then a little current turns into a major flow with major velocity because of the 4ft of elevation difference between the water backed up agaist the road and the water on the back side of the road. Im curious, Did the railroad tracks that run to the east of I29 also wash out? Im just wondering because it always seems like railroads will stay mostly intact while at the same time roads are destoryed for miles.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)