AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mcupps
Posted 9/9/2011 01:05 (#1953663 - in reply to #1953647)
Subject: Re: Breach at Birds Point New Madrid Floodway

Downtown Shell Knob MO Come Visit!
Agreed. But it seemed like there were alerts of major river flooding at least a week before most of the damage occured. Every TV screen was saying major river flooding. And it seemed like every local weatherman and the NOAA knew the flooding was going to be horrific, But the Corp "Just didn't know", or "have enought facts to take action" It was at least a week after we saw our major flooding before they blew the levee. I guess in there defense I undertand it takes a while to load a barge with explosives and steam upstream from memphis. But I remember guys on here talking about the barge leaving at memphis and it was still close to a week after we (and most of the Ohio valley) saw 3 or 4 days of solid rain. I would think that on the second day of buckets of rain falling, and an already high spring flow. The corp should have started saying "If it rains for two more days like the weatherman is saying, we probably should try to find ourselves a barge and some boom booms within a day or so" Not to mention the fact that I remember being on here 3 days before we got all our rain and they were already predicting record rainfall and major flooding. So its not like the Corp was caught off guard by all the rain.
I don't know what the old school plan was, Im guessing :)) it was for the guys from StLouis and Evansville to crank up the old phone and call down and say, Hey boy down there, you better blow that Levee, things are pretty bad here and its still raining.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)