AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

King Corn the movie - I've been asked to defend you guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bernie nw ON
Posted 3/3/2009 10:43 (#630153)
Subject: King Corn the movie - I've been asked to defend you guys

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Great White North
Local college is having a screening of the documentary 'King Corn', a movie about two Yale grads who move to Iowa, grow an acre or corn (grown conventionally, inside a regular sized field), and attempt to follow the crop on to our plates. I watched it last night, the main issues presented - due to crop technology and the US Farm Bill, the rural midwest is changing to a monoculture of large corn farms. The crop, with nutrition bred out of it, is mainly destined to give us diabetes through high fructose corn syrup or get us fat through unnaturally raised and finished beef. The movie does not offer any answers, and is quite respectful of the dilemma farmers are in as a cog in the big food wheel, just trying to keep their businesses solvent. I noted a few errors, omissions and biases but this movie really takes the soft sell approach in getting its message across. As is common in this genre of film, a bunch of important details and information has not been presented, but that is no surprise.
I and one of my fellow local farmers have been asked to attend the college screening and post-movie discussion to be able to offer our views and opinion. Thought it was good of them to get our input.
I am asking for comments, suggestions, and facts from those more involved in the corn industry than I am. I like to be prepared and if there is untruth in this movie (I know there is a bit), I want to expose it and be able to back it up.

Thanks a bunch

Bernie

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)