AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

King Corn the movie - I've been asked to defend you guys
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

bushton4
Posted 3/3/2009 21:27 (#630765 - in reply to #630153)
Subject: Re: King Corn the movie - I've been asked to defend you guys

I thought it was a pretty decent movie, a little bit on the tree hugger side right towards the end. Not as bad as i thought it would be. Now on to your questions
Most will probably want to know why we grow cattle that will die from the diet they are fed vs. a nice balanced diet and a long time to get to market weight. Rate of gain and turn of cattle in feed lots are the reason everyone in the US and Canada can afford to go to McD's and get a .99 hamburger. If they want healthy meat products, they must be prepared to pay a lot higher price for that. I would try to keep any number you talk about confined to percentages. Like 20% of you take home pay is all you spend on food for the month, probably 2nd lowest compared to the US and a long way off from any other countries in the world. Really push the idea of how little we spend of our paychecks to feed ourselves. I would find out what the avg $$ are spent on feeding ourselves and ask the audience an open ended question and try to get some guesses before you let them know the answer. Most will be shocked!!!!
The high fructose corn syrup use is a choice. If they dont use this they will use real sugar and still produce the product it may just cost more.
When talking with any "citifolk" I always try to show them a comparison's that are relivant to what affects them.
Some will probably ask about chemicals used and the N. I dont think there has ever been a time in modern farming that things are as effecient as they are right now. Most cant afford to go out and dump 250 unit of in N willy nilly and hope for the best like we used to do. Now most variable rate or have found more effiecent ways for fertlizing for a better environment and bottom line.
Organics will probably be asked about. Simply not enough acres to raise food for the masses in this way. Once again, what percentage of your income are you willing to dedicate to feeding yourself every month.
Hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)