AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Learn AI, or pay professional?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jordan3215
Posted 2/11/2019 14:27 (#7313914)
Subject: Learn AI, or pay professional?

West Central Nebraska - Sandhills
We AI all our heifers (marketed as AI sired bred heifers and replacements) as well as some of our cows. A neighbor who AI's a lot of purebreds has always done it for us, but is unable to this year. We will do 150 heifers and about 150 cows this year. I have thought about getting my old lady and I AI trained to do them ourselves. Part of me says, if any of these guys who run around with genetic companies can do it, why can't I? That way I would also be able to somewhat heat detect throughout the timed synchronization, and I wouldn't have to rely on or pay anyone. But part of me also thinks that a lot of these guys do thousands a year and are experts, and I should fork over the money for a professional to avoid having 150 heifers in synch on my first day ever of AI'ing after AI school and have some sort of disaster where I only hit 30% AI breds and that screws my ability to retain as well as market AI sired heifers. I have been told to take AI school and then go around with other guys helping AI before I do my own herd, but due to my in town job, that sort of time commitment is not really an option. Any advice is truly appreciated. I think I've been lucky with the neighbor hitting 70% every year for such a reasonable price, and now I've got to face higher costs, or possibly a drop in percentage.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)