AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If Farmer’s Data has value…..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

gwagner
Posted 7/6/2017 16:39 (#6109233)
Subject: If Farmer’s Data has value…..

In my last post I was not happy with having to send my as-applied data to John Deere’s cloud platform. I appreciated reading other people’s comments as they gave some insight I didn't think of.

The whole theory behind the new ADAPT file format is to share data easily. But also, it's the ability for the data collection company or any other company to gather insight to our farming practices easier. Does our data have value? Are these companies such as JD doing this for free out of the goodness of their hearts or a company like FBN only charging a Farmer $500 a year for the right to give them the data? How much value does this data really have?

If you don’t think our data has value, as of March, 2017 www.crunchbase.com reported that venture capitalist has invested the following amount into Big Data companies. Venture capitalists don’t give money away for free…they expect a return on their investments. (Company Name, how many rounds of funding they have generated, and total money they received from investors)

• Granular 2r $24.9m
• Conservis 5r $23.65m
• FBN 5r $83.9m
• FarmLogs 5r $37m
• FarmerEdge 6r $103.45m

What I am starting to do (and I am not a conspiracy theorist) all data that I MUST send to the cloud without my approval (I have no choice) I have decided to “code” all as applied data, i.e. if I spray Roundup at 22 floz with ammonia sulfate at 7 gal of water, my chemical will be X13d5, or a variety of soybeans is 22r55.

I can’t stop these companies from the collection of my data, but if they want value they will need to contact me for my “unlock code”, and then we can negotiate the real value. One farmer…probably won’t make a difference, 20,000 farmers might get attention.

I am wondering if this makes any sense to other farmers? Do you feel that the data has value and we should get value back (or is just the "insights" enough). Or I am getting a little crazy as I get older?

Gary

Edited by gwagner 7/6/2017 17:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)