AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If Farmer’s Data has value…..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 7/6/2017 17:10 (#6109284 - in reply to #6109233)
Subject: RE: If Farmer’s Data has value…..

C IL
Clearly our data has value. Not so much individually, but the aggregated data.

As I've talked with some friends in recent years it appears to me that the venture capital rush to Big Data in Ag was more of a reflexive 'throw something against the wall and see what sticks' in the aftermath of a commodity super cycle and tech bubble, as opposed to a calculated investment from the classic players. Sometimes that is good - outside insights. Sometimes that is bad - little understanding. The YieldPop deal probably primed the pump pretty well.

Timing was good. Super cycle resulted in such huge investment in technology we now have tons of measurements and data to feed the machine.

I personally think the value of the insights is high enough to participate and get results/value back. I use several big data platforms for this. I see it as a modern version/evolution of Extension, FBFM data, peer groups, etc. I think this helps level the playing field, taking away some strategic position the big players exploint. They have the resources to get this information already, these platforms just make it more available to farmers. But I am young, the older generation around here is fairly suspicious. Usually I read that as wise. TBD.

I am also watching what companies do with this data keenly, as well as many others. No crowd-sourcing platform survives if the source population becomes infuriated with the aggregating entity selling them out.

I think this will shake out soon with a bunch of mergers and buyouts. Too much back-end standardization of data to make it shareable among different platforms for anything else to happen. Will be interesting to see who the survivor big fish are. Will it be the subscription-based platforms? Hardware integration? Business analytics? Agronomy insights? Deere, Monsanto, and Trimble have deep pockets and a strong position already. Not the first folks I want to deal with, however - I like the current more independent options.

If I was an Ag retailer, I'd be prepared to be squeezed more on input margin as wholesale prices become more available and the market becomes more transparent. Same for local elevators. Have truck, will travel to end user for an appropriate bid.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)