AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

O/T City Water Service VS New Well
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 11/28/2006 12:08 (#66498 - in reply to #64497)
Subject: 3' wells work great in our area

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

My well had two water producing layers, one about 20', and the best one at about 87 feet (If I remember correctly)  We drilled the 3' well as close as possible to the previous 6" well was located, as water sands are very tricky in our area.  Even at that, the first 3' well was dry, the driller did not drill close enough, claimed he needed more distance to drill easily.  I made the driller back up right next to the pump house where the previous 6" well was located, and they got water, even though it took longer to drill the well as they did not have enough room to swing the boom and dump soil as easily as in an unobstructed area.  Even I was amazed that only a few feet difference resulted in a dry hole or a producing water well.

The previously drilled (and the four previous to that one) were all 6" oil casing water wells.  They produced water about 3 gallons per minute, and had limited capacity.  We watered livestock from a pond, this water was for domestic and machinery washing use.  The small production was supplemented by many pressure tanks.  The 3' well eliminated the need for multiple pressure tanks to store water, as the diameter of the well allowed for additional water to be stored.  The previous well had closed off the perforations, and at first we were going to re-perforate the pipe.  After learning the cost of this process, we found it was cheaper to drill a new well, and that decision has proven to be a good one, as we did not run out of water, unless using a lot of water quickly, like filling sprayer tanks.  For sprayer tanks, we kept a float in a 1,200 gallon plastic tank, kept that tank full with a slow trickle from the well, and filled the sprayer from the tank with a 3" pump.

Life gets interesting when the water supply is limited.  We must all remember of all resources we have on earth, water is much more valuable and must be protected.  Oil and other minerals can be depleted and our lifestyle is hindered, but if water is depleted, all life is ended!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)