AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

S&P 500
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ncil
Posted 6/28/2018 21:16 (#6839882)
Subject: S&P 500

A year and a half ago at 67 and a half I left my day job. The company that managed the 401k had a freeze on due to something. It took a couple of months to gat the funds transfered to Vanguard. I had been in 100% S&P but transfered to Vanguards clearing account that pays less than one percent. I looked at the PE and Shiller PE and thought stocks were over priced. Bonds look terrible to me as valuses will go down as interest rates go up, short bonds might be OK and better than clearing account. I think that with the FED tightening the money supply and the tarrif talk that we could be in for a correction to the down side. Maybe a big one like 30 to 50 percent. So I am staying in cash basically. I have a written plan to get back in to stocks with the Vanguard VTSAX 50% and a target dated fund for the rest. My wifes government TSP is all in fund G (bonds). Bogleheads forum advises - time in the market verses trying to time the market. They advise just dump all the money into the market with your chosen allocation. Or if you don't want to do that and dollar cost average in over 12 months. Well its been 18 months and I still think stock prices are still too high.
Stocks are still higher today than a year ago. Warren Buffet said the first rule about money is - Don,t loose the money . So I have not lost the money so far but could have made a little more if I was in the market.
Being less than a year from 70 I have not drawn SS but did draw on my wifes SS as she had retired with disability as spousal one half..
So should I
Wait for a 20% or more correction that may or may not happen
Dump it all in per allocation
Dollar cost average in over 12 months
Something else

Thanks in advance for your thought, it halps to get independant ideas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)