AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

auction mistake
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

DoubleXL
Posted 3/28/2017 16:44 (#5928514 - in reply to #5924133)
Subject: RE: auction mistake

My 10 year old saved up about $1000 and we planned to buy a beat up JD 70 2-cylinder on a local collectors sale. The gentleman had a couple 70's, some scattered throughout the line up, but there were 2 next to each other. One mint, recently restored beauty, and the ratty, original, dinged up one we decided we could hopefully afford. There were 50 some-odd tractors on this sale. Conducted in a large hay field. Plenty of room. They moved the truck every lot so it was directly in front of what they were selling. EVERY TIME!!!! My son had the bid at $900 and was jacked up (I think a couple guys saw it was a kid and let up). We were standing in the back (my fault) then some guy in the front started bidding. I let the kid bid to 1200 thinking I could use an endentured servant for $200. After bidding a couple times, splitting it to $50 increments, I finally told my son to let the guy have it at $1400. We'll find another one, I told him. Gavel falls. Truck moves forward to the mint 70. This a-hole in the front row was bidding against a kid, on the wrong tractor. Now he's in a full on panic. He comes running up to me freaking out. Tells me he bought the wrong tractor. Has serial number 1 and needs the hood off the tractor that they're selling now...... blah, blah, blah. I told him I'd give him 900 for the other one which is where he started bidding against my kid at. And I bid on the nice one a couple times while he was standing there pleading his case. (Just to make sure it made it to 5000.) I told him I wasn't financing his auction education. The good news is, he didn't get the one he came for, and had to pay 1400 for the ratty original with the aftermarket power steering pump hanging off the frame. Did I mention someone cut a notch in the hood so the belts wouldn't rub on it either??
We ended up with a styled A later on in the sale for $800...... So I guess you could say it all worked out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)