AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Just saying
Posted 3/25/2017 11:59 (#5921734 - in reply to #5921576)
Subject: RE: Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts

N.W. Ohio
No pointers from me as I am far from an expert and certainly not qualified to advice anyone. I agree that it can be difficult at times to keep your hedges straight especially when just doing certain percentages of your crop. I guess the reason I asked my question is that if you are strictly doing hedging, margin calls and losses on your futures account should not necessarily be looked upon as losing money because in theory you have gained an equal amount on the cash grain side.... possibly more if basis improved. I also do know that the black and white of the numbers on your statement make the loss seem worse than a loss on the value of the grain in the bin. That is a psychological challenge that is hard to overcome sometimes. Also agree that many producers aren't the horrific marketers that some would have you believe. Few are smart enough to hit the highs with sales on a regular basis. Myself, I just try to make multiple sales when prices are profitable and end up with a decent average selling price. Good luck to you this season!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)