AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

rab1964
Posted 3/25/2017 10:30 (#5921576 - in reply to #5921136)
Subject: RE: Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts

Straight hedging, I can speculate just fine with grain in my bins. Not saying it is always a loss but over the years it has been a loss, no net gain. Hedging, covering sales I want to make or need to make would generally be better for me to just sell and move on. There have been times I thought we really cut a fat hog, only to get butchered the next time around. It gets to be a complicated mess hedging when you are just covering a portion of your crop, for me anyway. I'm sure some are more organized than me at keeping things straight. So yes there are times it looks like a bigger loss than it is reality when you are selling the physical higher than you would have if you were not hedged with futures or options. And yes I have lost money on grain in bins, haven't figured out how to hit the top of the market yet. If you have any pointers I'm all ears. Despite this I still feel a good chunk of farmers do much better at marketing than what some on here like to claim. If we consistently held all our grain and years later we sold it at the bottom like some will promote here we would have all been broke a long time ago.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)