AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

OldIdea
Posted 3/24/2017 23:12 (#5920939 - in reply to #5920854)
Subject: RE: Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts

Would be very interesting.

One thing I've noticed in the 6-8 years I've been lurking/posting in Market Talk is what appears to be a concentration of posters from Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, North and South Dakota. I'm sure some of this can be contributed to the fact that a lot of farmers live in farm country, duh. But these posters seem to have good understanding on the intricacies of the market. Buying puts, selling calls, bull spreads, capturing carry-that sort of stuff. (When and if I bring up market lingo mumbo jumbo here, I tend to get a lot of blank stares.) You can tell they've hedged/speculated a little and most likely have dealt or are dealing with a broker. I get the feeling you guys get consistently good yields for the most part, but that's kind of a double edged sword, imo. It keeps competition stiff, rent high, and profit margins slim and requires that you remain diligent. Well, except for the Dakota guys. I think Mother Nature just punches them square in face every year. (I've been up there in the summer, I couldn't imagine trying to keep row crops going year after year)

Please, anyone, don't take this as a derogatory generalization, it's just my fairly uneducated observation.

I'm going to say that 10-20% of producers in my area have hedged/traded the board with maybe 1% or less of them currently personally doing it with an online account, aka no broker. In my short farming career, I've seen a big increase of marketing options available through elevators/end users. Things that just weren't offered 10-15 years ago. If you wanted to do this stuff back then, you were on your own. Period. I think a lot of producers take advantage of these now. Idk, maybe 50% or so??

Just my WAG. I have NO way of knowing for sure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)