AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

MattNWOH
Posted 3/25/2017 09:43 (#5921505 - in reply to #5920939)
Subject: RE: Statistics, % of farmers with trade/hedge accounts

As an Ohioan I'm gonna have to strongly disagree that those in what you consider to be a fringe state are somehow less savvy because you don't see them post as much. I'd say the savviest, smartest guys wouldn't bother posting at all on agtalk so maybe you have it backwards! I kid I kid. Just having fun. Isn't it always the guys out west complaining about getting caught up Cargill's fancy dancy Pro Pricing scheme? Hmmm

But seriously, I will agree there are differences in marketing, but I think it's more of a difference in where different areas sell the physical. Probably more smaller co-ops here instead of the ADMs and Cargills and big consolidated coops guys complain about. Fewer ethanol plants and and less cattle feeding, but livestock continues to expand in areas where it was virtually nonexistent 15 years ago "here". Generally I'd say we have a lot fewer locations to actually move grain to and fewer basis opportunities but the tools are probably mostly the same.

However, we all have the same paper marketing tools though. The same media, the same brokers after our business, the same opportunities for marketing education, the same ability to manage our own spec/hedge accounts online. That also goes for technology anywhere on the farm. New ideas and successes travel fast, especially in these times. You kind of sound like the city slicker who doesn't know how the other half of the country lives because you never visit them. Those other places are your fly over country, in a sense. Must be a bunch of yokels.

As far as yields go, we're behind out here on those corn yields especially. I'd love to swap soils and weather conditions for a decade and see how everyone fairs. Like you say though, it's a double edged sword. For a guy starting out like me, far more opportunities where I am than some of the states you named to get started so I'm happy to stay put and fly under the radar.

For me, I spec trade with a broker and hedge my meager grain production in my own account (we're talking . No paper trading for dad.

Edited by MattNWOH 3/25/2017 09:52
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)