AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Record Rains headed to California.. just like 2011.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 1/7/2017 10:53 (#5750988 - in reply to #5750906)
Subject: For me..

okay for me.. in 2009 we had beau coup wonderful corn crops.,. 180 bu dryland yield in a field.. etc.. by 2010 it was not as good but still pretty good.. prices sucked.. and finding storage was kind of the thing.. then 2011 started out pretty normal.. until July the 4th..  "golly my pickup thermometer says 108.. really?!?  called weather station.. 105 and climbing.."  then it was "game on.." for the rest of that summer.. whew... and ya'll can probably remember the rest of the story..

so.. fall of 2010.. spring of 2011 "FEELS" pretty similar to me.. which is typical for this area..

"5..6 years out of 10 you lose $$$.. break even on a couple.. and make enough in the final 2..3.. years to see ya through the next 10 years.."  C. Angell family Plains Ks.

.. and that's pretty accurate.  "feast or famine"  story of our farm since my Great Great Grandfather homesteaded in SE Stafford County after the Civil War.

Well anyway.. My Nephew's guru said.. "La Nina.. El Nino.. are over used terms.. of course it depends upon WHERE you are located.. La Nina can be Wet here.. Cali.. AND Dry There.. Tx / Okla Panhandles.. SW Ks..  ALSO.. you can have WET La Nina's and DRY El Nino's.. so.. Those terms are over used.."

"but we've identified about 17..18..19 repeating patterns.. in our view.. which we line up as similar years.. Where's the AMO cycle.. the PDO.. the madden julian oscillation.. and a whole bunch of other stuff.. including the ENSO cycle.. crunch it through our super computers..  and determine what we think are similar years.."

"so for us.. here.. today.. in California.. I'm looking for 2017 to be like 2011."

.. what he said.

Edited by JonSCKs 1/7/2017 10:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)