AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Record Rains headed to California.. just like 2011.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 1/7/2017 09:14 (#5750748)
Subject: Record Rains headed to California.. just like 2011.

I've been hinting that a couple of weather guru's which I follow are hinting that the current weather pattern is similar to 2011..

First off the CURRENT Rainfall outlook..

Day 1-7 QPF valid 12z 01/07/17 - 12z 01/14/17
Notice ALL THAT RAIN POURING into Cali.. (uhum.. and the dryness over the Southern US Plains.. gulp.)

Now did we ever see that before?

For Instance this story from May of 2011..

Storm brings record rainfall totals in Southern California

Daily records for temperature and rainfall totals were tied and broken Tuesday as a storm system hit Southern California.

The low temperature at UCLA was 49 degrees, tying a record set in 1962, according the National Weather Service.

A record rainfall total for the day was set at Los Angeles International Airport.  Tuesday's 0.23 inches of rain at LAX eclipsed a record of 0.12 inches that had stood since 1949, the Weather Service said.

Long Beach Airport received 0.25 inches of rain, breaking a record of trace rainfall set in 2004.

In Ventura County, Camarillo had 0.19 inches of rain. The previous record was 0.12 inches set in 1994.

The Weather Service said showers were expected to linger in the Los Angeles area through Wednesday. Snow levels would be about 5,500 to 6,000 feet with some areas receiving 1 to 3 inches of snow. 

hmmm..  2011 eh?  Is that year gonna be similar to this year?

"Yes" according to the guru that my nephew (who lives in Cali..) listened to before Christmas..

"2017 is going to be very similar to 2011 meteorologically in our opinion.." 

To wit sparked a somewhat concerned call to my contacts..

"Hey, any truth to that statement?"

"Well too early to know for sure.. but yal.. could be.. I actually believe 2017 is gonna be more like 2012.. which actually impacted a LARGER Area than the drought in 2011 that only hit the southern plains... In 2011 the moisture came into California.. then the storm track lifted (for the most part..) up and over us here and the Northern Plains got ALOT of Snowfall that Winter/spring.. and the Missouri river flooded.. planting delays up north.. record prevented plantings that year.. 11 myn acres.. and yet south of I-70 we developed into a "heat storm" later that summer with 50 days over 100 degrees..

Now 2012 was over a larger area.. I'm looking for the Dryness in the South Eastern US to migrated NW more into the Cornbelt.. that 2017 will certainly be hotter than 2016..

For Instance the CPC's outlook for this summer is as follows.. certainly hotter..

/products/predictions/long_range/lead07/off07_temp.gif 

but precipitation.. not much of a prediction..

/products/predictions/long_range/lead07/off07_prcp.gif

Although the spring looks wet.. in the upper midwest..  slow start to spring fieldwork...???

/products/predictions/long_range/lead02/off02_prcp.gif 

Anywho.. you can also look back to the comparison between what the CPC said for 2012.. vs what we got..

( http://ggweather.com/cpc/2012/ )

???

So.. 2011.. 2012...??  "something like that.. yes. that's what I would lean towards as of now.. but it's early to know with too much confidence.. but something you might want to consider.. and prepare for as a possibility.. yes."  A Johnson. NWS

btw.. here is Jeff's current update...

( http://swkswx.blogspot.com/

Edited by JonSCKs 1/7/2017 09:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)