AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

custom work opinions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

xralan
Posted 2/11/2016 17:29 (#5104579 - in reply to #5103696)
Subject: RE: custom work opinions

To me, custom farming is just like any job you would do in town. You do what the boss tells you to do. And the sooner you learn to live with it, the better. This of course assumes he's paying you fairly an timely for your work. When i was maybe 12 or 13 years old, my dad had a farm he rented from an old man i think in his late 80's. Him an his wife were basically retired, but kept chickens an other animals as well as a large garden. So when harvest would come around, he would want a pickup load of wheat to feed his animals. Well it was my job to go shovel out the pickup load into his graineries. Now his scoop shovel was about half length from all the wear, making it all the more fun. He had a 1969 ford pickup, 3/4 ton, 6cyl, 4 speed with a good set of mud tires that he had bought new. No extras what so ever, except some tall side boards so he could carry a good load. So this one year, it's wet, the grounds soft, dad loads him full. He's the driver, puts the truck into 2nd gear, revs it up, an it don't want to move. Me thinking he's old, an didn't realize he's not in first, point out that first gear is over there. He doesn't say anything. Proceeds to rev it faster, but still it won't take off. Me thinking he didn't hear me. Tell him where first gear is again. He replys, "Hummph, Wasteful" So then he really revs it up, and as we become enveloped in a cloud of smoke, he finally gets it moving. He certainly wasn't going to waste any money on fuel driving out of the field in first gear! Sometimes you just got to let the boss be the boss.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)