AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

custom work opinions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

farm1
Posted 2/11/2016 14:21 (#5104264 - in reply to #5103696)
Subject: RE: custom work opinions

I agree with what some others have said. For the chance at buying or renting 500 acres down the road I would stick with it. At the end of the day when custom farming he is the boss and you are supposed to do what he says. Its not your job to boost his yield. If his yield suffers and he blames you, then you are going to have to tell him in a nice way it isn't your fault. If he is persistent it is your fault then you may have to be more blunt. Try to accept the fact you are simply the hired man doing what he says. If he doesnt see the poor yield as your fault this year he may remember how much you improved things and remember that when its time to rent out.

Sometimes people like that are just tough to work with and you have to reduce expectations. We have done custom work for a guy for several years who I have learned will never give me that good rent deal I was hoping for. His idea of fair rent is basically top of the market. So, I have reduced expectations and now view it as a little extra custom income and unlikely to ever rent from him. Because I know the rent will be high he no longer gets any breaks from me on custom rates. We continue to work together and get along well.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)